Volunteers are an integral part of the programs and services at Immigrant Services Calgary. The primary goal of the volunteer program is to promote the benefits of volunteerism in the community. We have over 500 volunteers who collectively speak over 70 languages.
As a volunteer, whether you are accompanying a client to an important doctor’s appointment, coaching an individual on how to write a resume, or helping our staff in the office, you will be contributing to the successful integration and support of newcomers to Calgary.
Currently, we offer the following volunteer positions:
- Interpreter - provides verbal interpretation for clients and institutions in various settings such as medical, legal, social, educational, and others.
- Translator - translates written material such as legal documents, flyers, brochures, press releases, and others from English to another language or vice versa.
- Employment coach - supports newcomer job seekers in achieving their career and employment goals such as guiding through effective job search strategies; helping with résumé/cover letter writing; enhancing interview skills, and others.
- Community volunteer - participates in community-based projects, activities, and local initiatives. A community volunteer also assists ISC with special event functions and fundraising initiatives as well as promotional activities.
- Mentor - provides support and guidance to internationally educated professionals in their job search process.
- Children’s program volunteer – assists ISC staff in facilitating children’s activities such as reading circles, crafts, playing, singing, dancing, and others. This role may also include helping with setting-up and cleaning-up, preparing healthy snacks, childminding, assisting with workshops and other tasks.
- Seniors’ program volunteer – provides assistance to immigrant seniors while they are adapting to their new life in Canada. The tasks may include interpretation and support services, workshop assistance, community outreach, and others.
- Tutor – provides tutoring in school subjects to immigrant/refugee learners in grades 1-12 to improve their academic skills and study habits.
- Office and workshop support volunteer - assists ISC staff with a variety of clerical duties and provides help during workshops and training sessions.
- Youth Volunteer - supports community causes, projects, and initiatives through donating time and skills to local non-profit organizations. This volunteer position is available only for immigrant youth between ages 14 to 20. Learn more here.[link to youth vol. program]
If you are interested in becoming ISC volunteer, please fill out the application form HERE.
If you need more information, please contact Kelvin at 403-705-3432 or KelvinH@immigrantservicescalgary.ca